Gaels Juniors Inch Past Aberdeen for Two-in-a-row

Junior County Championship Final 2017

Glasgow Gaels versus Dalriada

23rd September 2017

St. Ambrose High School, Coatbridge

Full Programme here:

2017 Championship Final Programme FULL FV

Man-of-the-Match Sean Campion starts an attack

Dalriada, a team made up of players hailing from Aberdeen and Dundee made the long trip down to Coatbridge to face off in the 2017 Junior County Final against current champions Glasgow Gaels.

The Gaels started brightly with the midfielders and forwards linking up well to get some early scores in the game. Gaels keeper Davie McCaig, one of five Scottish-born starters for the Gaels, showed great strength in his long kick outs and several clear catches by Gaels midfields, now being awarded with a ‘mark’, helped the Gaels to stamp there authority on the game. Although the Gaels garnered most of the first half possession, Dalriada continued to battle, registering several tough tackles and continuing to hassle the Gaels forwards. The Gaels gained momentum when Man of the Match, Sean Campion’s pass to Gerard Caden registered a goal for the Gaels.

Eoin Grimes with superb link play

Some hard grafting from Eoin Grimes lead to several other points for the Gaels leaving the half time score 1-05 to 0-02.


The Gaels started the second half strong again and registered the first score of the half with a converted free by Brian Sharkey. The game was quickly turned on its head when Owen Walls was shown a Black Card, after already receiving a yellow in the first half, leaving the Gaels down to 14 men with most of the half still to play. Dalriada capitalised on having the extra man and registered their first goal with a high ball into the box to their Captain Niall Horkan.

The Gaels found their backs to the wall and fatigue started to set in. Some careless tackling left the Aberdeen side awarded a penalty with less than 5 minutes to go. It was easily converted, despite a diving effort by McCaig, to put them within 2 points of the Gaels. The Gaels knew the restart was important and they fought hard for the final possession. In the end they were able to hold of Dalriada’s efforts of a come back and they inched by with the back-to-back Championship win. Final score: 1-11 to 2-06.


Starting Teams:

Gaels: 1. D. McCaig, 2. P. Scully (C), 3. S. Treacy, 4. M. Donnelly, 5. D. O’Neill, 6. C. Gormley, 7. F. Kineavy, 8. E. Scanlon, 9. C. Lynch, 10. T. McGee, 11. O. Walls, 12. S. Campion, 13. B. Sharkey, 14. J. McCallum, 15. C. Spalding. Subs Used: 16. G. Kennedy, 19. Z. Devine, 20. I. Moore, 21. E. Grimes, 22. G. Caden, 25. G. Heeran


Dalriada: 1. D. Fallon, 2. B. Doherty, 3. M. Halton, 4. R. Fleming, 5. N. Devlin, 7. P. Sweeney, 19. C. Randles, 9. D. Macken, 21. K. Hall, 17. S. Toye, 11. A. McKinley, 12. F. Deery, 13. E. Divilly, 14. N. Horkan (C), 15. B. McGauley. Subs: 18. S. Brophy, 22. J. O’Flaherty, 23. S. Kearney, 24. D. Bell, 25. H. Conlon