Gaels Seniors Edged Out in Extra Time Thriller

Scotland Senior Championship Final 2017

Glasgow Gaels versus Dunedin Connollys

September 23rd, 2017

St. Ambrose High School, Coatbridge

View the match day programme here:

2017 Championship Final Programme FULL FV

Eoin Leonard pushes through Connollys forwards

In recent years, the rivalry between Glasgow Gaels and Dunedin Connollys has continued to build. Meeting each other in all 6 finals in the past 3 years, the tale has been in Connollys favour each time. This year seemed to nearly be a different tale. After losing by only 1 point in the League Final earlier in the year, the Gaels felt this was their chance to break through. With the sides drawing level at full time in the Championship Final it was anyone’s match, it was not to be for the Gaels however, and Connollys, with their more clinical edge, once again came out on top.

Sean Malee trips Paul Duffy

The match started with tensions running high, and points from Derek Harvey and Richie Stevenson put the Gaels up by two in the opening 10 minutes of the match. However, Connollys were able to answer with points of their own to level the scoring at 5 all, 20 minutes into the first half. The turning point was certainly when Connollys talisman, Sean Malee saw a black card for his trip on Gaels midfielder, Paul Duffy. However, with a powerful bench, Connollys replaced Sean Malee with eventual Man of the Match, Damien Keane. At half time, it was 0-05 to 0-06 in favour of the defending champions.


David Comiskey finds the net

Connollys started the second half in their usual gunslinger fashion, quickly going up by three with some well worked points from midfielders Aldo Matassa and Brian McAteer. The momentum changed, however, when a bobbled high ball from Dunedin’s goalkeeper, Tony Harbison, found the back of the net via Gaels’ forward David Comiskey putting the score at 1-08 to 0-09 points with 15 minutes to go. Tensions flared high for both teams as both Gaels and Connollys players saw yellow cards for tough tackles. A barrage of frees for Connollys in the last 10 minutes, in particular frees taken by Damien Keane, brought the match to close at a draw at 1-10 to 0-13.

Tensions flare between rivals

With two 10 minute halves of extra time looming, it was a chance for each side to regroup and was certainly a test of match fitness given the intense physicality of normal time. With the first ten minutes of extra time, still unable to separate the sides, the frustration crept in and certainly fatigue. Conor Higgins and David Comiskey, two solid players throughout the entirety of the match saw their efforts fall just short, and Peter Smart (0-04(f)) put the ball just wide of the posts in the closing minutes. The clinical edge saw Connollys through in the end as two well-taken frees from veteran Damien Keane put the final score at 1-11 to 0-16.

Photo Credits: Paul Paterson Photography

Starting Lists:

Gaels: 1. J. Sheehan, 2. E. Leonard, 3. D. Kellegher (C), 4. D. O’Hanlon, 5. C. Higgins, 6. P. Smart (0-04(f)), 7. JP Langan, 8. P. Duffy, 9. C. Curran, 10. D. McGovern, 11. J. O’Sullivan (0-01), 12. A. Kerlin (0-01), 13. D. Comiskey (1-02), 14. D. Harvey (0-01), 15. R. Stevenson (0-01(f)). Subs Used: 17. S. Moran, 18. S. McMahon, 19. A. Farrell, 21. N. McParland, 22. S. Burke, 23. C. Woods


Connollys: 1. T. Harbison, 2. A. Moore, 3. D. O’Brien (C), 4. C. Horan, 5. T. Fitzgerald, 6. B. Russell, 7. B. Parsons, 8. A Matassa, 9. B. McAteer, 10. D. Loftus, 11. P. Reen, 12. R. McGurk, 13. F. Molloy, 14. S. Malee, 15. E. Newton. Subs Used: 16. A. Ward, 17. D. Keane, 18. V. Moriarity, 19. D. Battles, 20. F. Kearney